Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Power of Language

One thing has always bothered me about that old sing-song rhyme we all remember from childhood.  You know the one- Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.

I'd take a broken bone over being called an unkind name any day.  Words have exponetially more power than mere physical weapons that can only leave scars on our skin.  Words can leave scars on our soul.

I was reminded of this yesterday, and again today, as I wandered through the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington D.C. The past few years the trendy slur being used among many middle school students is "Jew."  The word, in and of itself, is not offensive- it's merely a descriptor.  But much like the word "gay" it has been turned, by adolescent minds who cannot possibly comprehend the vast horror and history behind the use of the word as a slur, into something ugly.  I assume that most students simply don't understand why it is a such a big deal- based on the blank looks on their faces when I ask them why they would use such a word as an insult.  My mission has become to teach students, as a group and sometimes individually, why words have weight, meaning, and power, and as such every human being has a responsibility to select language and words that don't denigrate entire populations. The word Jew is not an insult.

Yesterday during a group discussion after our tour of the museum the conversation turned toward the word "Holocaust" and how it applies only to the Jewish victims- not to any of the other groups persecuted during the same time frame.  The Roma population, homosexuals, political dissidents, the mentally and physically handicapped (among others) undoubtedly suffered during the time frame we tend to refer to as the Holocaust.  But the Final Solution of the Nazi government was not designed to eradicate these groups from Europe- its solitary purpose was the absolute genocide of Jews.  It is not appropriate, then, to refer to non-Jews as victims of the Holocaust, but instead as victims of Nazi policies.  This doesn't minimize the suffering of those individuals, it simply applies a more accurate historical context for the situation under which they were persecuted. 

I admit it took me a moment of thought to comprehend the argument for this verbal shift.  Words have power- they shape and give voice to every thought, idea, emotion, and opinion we have as human beings.  A word like Holocaust simply belongs to the Jews- at least as it relates to World War II.

I really thought I knew a lot about the Holocaust.  I have read, researched, and studied it in multiple ways.  I'm quite sure, however, that the past few days have taught me how little I really know.  If I have already gained so much knowledge- in only three days!- I can't imagine how much the next eighteen days will have to teach me.  The museum is beautiful, moving, horrifying.  The authentic sites I will visit will undoubtedly have a power beyond my imaginings. 

Flight to Israel leaves in five hours.  Deep breath...

No comments:

Post a Comment